As new technologies emerge, many of the leading programming languages get our of use or see their popularity fade. Node.js, introduced back in 2009, is not one of these. Node.js development has become very popular over the last four years and continues to stand the competition in 2020 making startups worldwide choose it over other available options.
Being an experienced Node.js web development company, Fireart Studio is eager to share the insights into when and how to use Node.js in 2020.
Node.js: A Quick Overview
Node.js is extensively used for back-end development and, according to Stack Overflow Research, is a worldwide leader among frameworks.
Node.js technology was created as an alternative to the client/server model, in which the server reacts only in response to the client request and closes the connection immediately after each response. Node.js establishes a two-way connection and interactive communication between the server and the user’s browser, which allows achieving low latency and high throughput.
What does it all mean?
Well, about a 50% increase in application’s performance with a simultaneous decrease in response time (PayPal saw a decrease of 35%) and development costs. A good reason for startups to consider Node.js development services, isn’t it?
Node.js Performance Benefits that Still Apply
Node.js has five benefits that will make you consider the technology for your next web or app development project.
- Modern Architecture and Scalability
Microservices are getting extremely popular today as they allow iterative development and fast scalability of the software. Node.js propels communication among the parts of the applications (APIs of microservices) making it run faster. It gives the opportunity to scale apps without decreasing speed or performance.
- Faster Time to Market
Node.js has 700,000 modules on NPM. Using ready-made modules instead of coding mundane things anew cuts the development time dramatically. What’s more, according to the 2018 Node.js Survey, 68% of developers and project managers consider Node.js a factor increasing developer productivity. This contributes to the faster release of products and updates.
- Fast Performance
Users’ expectations concerning the loading speed continue to rise. Node.js has been always known to speed up the delivery of back-end services and continues to evolve. One proof is the performance of eBay and AliExpress that Node.js powers.
- Open Source Community
Node.js is an open-source technology. It is not only about being free; it is also about the collaboration of highly creative and engaged developers from various corners of the world. For Node.js, there is no rigid money-oriented governance, but a community with an intrinsic motivation to continuously build a product to be proud of.
When You Should Use Node.js
Of course, the choice of technology should always be made considering the project requirements. Despite all its benefits, Node.js is not the best choice for CPU-heavy jobs or applications that perform only CRUD operations. At the same time, there are four cases when it is truly a good choice. These include:
- Real-time applications. Node.js can power real-time applications (RTA) that process a high volume of short messages and require a minimal delay. For example, Yahoo, LinkedIn, and Uber are all built on Node.js.
- Data streaming. Considering its asynchronous nature, Node.js is also good for real-time streaming of media, streaming of data from various resources and apps that presuppose multiple file uploads. Netflix running on Node.js is a prominent example here.
- API servers. Another good application of Node.js is for creating an API server. This is because Node.js allows handling many concurrent connections simultaneously and easily converting JavaSript objects in JSON format.
- DevOps projects. As mentioned above, Node.js is perfect for writing fast and lightweight pieces of application – microservices – that allow development teams to build, deploy and maintain software at the same time. Continuous development and continuous integration are at the core of DevOps.
A Secret Souce
Node.js is still a good choice for startups to consider in 2020. However, everything is not necessarily that smooth with Node.js and there are some mistakes in Node.js development developers should learn to avoid. Thus, it is vital to find a reliable Node.js development company that will carry out the project to the best quality standards.
Feel free to discuss your project with the Fireart Studio dedicated team that will help you make the right choice of the technology and branding of your product.